New Jersey man Dennis Hennis was working on his neighbor's roof last Saturday when his nail gun jammed. When the 52-year-old tried to clear the gun, he felt like someone poked him in the chest.
It turns out the self-employed builder had accidentally shot a 3.5-inch nail into the right side of his heart. Hennis' nail gun fired a nail at 120 pounds of pressure per square inch that pierced Hennis' right ventricle, which supplies blood to the lungs. Hennis needed to be resuscitated after he went into cardiac arrest in an ambulance before he was airlifted to Cooper University Hospital in Camden. A team of cardiac and trauma surgeons repaired the damage.
According to ABC News, Hennis needed his heart stopped for 40 minutes to allow it to reset. "Then they shocked it back on and I'm here," he said. "I'm amazed."